Please be aware that Safer Futures, First Light will only provide legal aid letters, if a client has engaged with the Service and is experiencing domestic abuse or sexual violence. This enables the team to make an informed professional decision about the current situation.
Legal aid can help meet the costs of legal advice, family mediation and representation in a court or tribunal.
You’ll usually need to show that:
- your case is eligible for legal aid
- the problem is serious
- you cannot afford to pay for legal costs
You could for example get legal aid if:
- you or your family are at risk of abuse or serious harm, for example domestic violence or forced marriage
- you’re at risk of homelessness or losing your home
- you’ve been accused of a crime, face prison or detention
- you’re being discriminated against
- you need family mediation
- you’re adding legal arguments or bringing a case under the Human Rights Act
Links to the government website: