Need help? Call our helpline. Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm 0300 777 4777
Leave Site

Self Help: The law and you

two people preparing for court

Police and the CPS

Police and the Criminal Prosecution Process (CPS) Domestic abuse is a criminal offence, and you (or someone else on your behalf) may decide to contact the police for help. The police are the first port of call in emergency (by dialling 999). Being assaulted, sexually abused, threatened or harassed by someone you know or live […]

Read more
children working together

Child Contact

Child contact when you divorce or separate You can choose how to make contact arrangements for looking after your children if you separate from your partner. You and your ex-partner can usually avoid going to court hearings if you agree on: where the children will live how much time they’ll spend with each parent how […]

Read more
legal aid paperwork

Legal Aid

Legal aid can help meet the costs of legal advice, family mediation and representation in a court or tribunal. You’ll usually need to show that: your case is eligible for legal aid the problem is serious you cannot afford to pay for legal costs You could for example get legal aid if: you or your […]

Read more
two people preparing for court

Specialist Domestic Violence Court

The Specialist Domestic Violence Court (SDVC) is for first appearances and sentencing of defendants who are charged with domestic abuse. Victims of these crimes do not need to attend court. However, if they choose to attend, they will be supported by the court Independent Domestic Violence Advocate (IDVA) at court. Their safety will be a […]

Read more

Funded by:

In partnership with: